Planning a trip to Graz in 2 days to spare? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! As locals, we know the ins and outs of this fascinating city and can show you around the must-see sites.
From historic monuments that tell the story of Graz’s rich culture to trendy cafes where you can sample local delicacies, there’s something for everyone in this bustling city.
So pack your bags, grab your camera, and get ready for an adventurous weekend in Graz – here’s our insider’s guide to making the most of both days!
Graz is the capital of Styria and the second largest city in Austria after Vienna. It is located in the southeastern part of the country, at the confluence of the Mur and Sulm rivers.
The city has around 280,000 inhabitants and is known for its university, museums, and theatres.
The historic center of Graz is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It includes several interesting sites such as the Schlossberg (Castle Hill), which offers great views of the city.
The Herzogshof (Duke’s Palace), a fine Renaissance building; and the Landhaus (Landhaus), which houses the museum.
Other notable attractions include the Kunsthaus (art museum) with its excellent collection of modern art and the Murinsel (island on the Mur River), a unique man-made island with cafes and shops.
If you’re Graz in 2 days, be sure to visit these must-see sites!
If you’re looking for stunning views of Graz, head to the Schlossberg Berg. The old fortress is now a park, the ideal place to get some fresh air and discover the history of the city.
You can walk or take the cable car to the top, where there are several restaurants and cafes with terraces.
From here, you can also take a leisurely stroll along the paths that wind through the park. Don’t forget to take breathtaking panoramic photos!
Graz Cathedral is a must-see when visiting the city of Graz. The cathedral is a fine example of Gothic architecture and is one of the most important religious buildings in Austria.
The interior of the cathedral is just as impressive as its exterior and contains many works of art.
Visitors can also climb to the top of the cathedral for stunning views of the city.
The Graz Opera is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Graz. It is a beautiful building built in 1858.
The Opera has staged many famous operas and plays. The most famous opera of the Graz Opera is The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart.
Playwright Anton Chekhov also wrote a play called The Cherry Orchard, which was staged at the Graz Opera.
After a hearty breakfast at the hotel, discover the old town of Graz. Start at the iconic clock tower, then meander through bustling streets filled with cafes, shops, and historic buildings.
Be sure to visit the town hall, which dates from the 15th century, and the magnificent Graz Cathedral.
Next, head to the Museum of Contemporary Art, housed in a former power station.
The museum has an impressive collection of modern and contemporary art, as well as temporary exhibitions. After working up an appetite, enjoy a leisurely lunch at one of Graz’s many cafes.
In the afternoon, walk through the picturesque Murinsel, an artificial island in the middle of the Mur river.
Then cross the Schlossberg hill, where you can enjoy breathtaking views of Graz from the top of the ancient fortress walls. Round off the day with a delicious dinner at one of Graz’s excellent restaurants.
Eggenberg Palace and Park
If you only have Graz in 2 days, be sure to visit Eggenberg Palace and Park. Built-in the early 17th century, this impressive Baroque palace is one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions.
There is a beautiful park in the palace, perfect for a quiet stroll on a sunny day. The palace houses an art museum with paintings by Austrian masters and a historical library with over 200,000 volumes.
Herrengasse shopping street
Herrengasse is one of the most popular shopping streets in Graz.
It is a pedestrian street with various shops, restaurants, and cafes. There are also historical sites on the Herrengasse, perfect for an afternoon of exploration.
Here are some of the best things to see and do in Herrengasse:
- Visit the Landhaus: The Landhaus is a magnificent Renaissance-style building that houses the Provincial Parliament of Styria. It’s at the end of Herrengasse and definitely worth a visit.
- Shop in the many shops: There are many unique shops to explore in Herrengasse. Everything from clothing and accessories to home decor and souvenirs.
- Stop for lunch or a coffee: there are many good places to eat and drink in Herrengasse. Be sure to try one of these delicious ice creams!
- Visit to the carillon: The carillon is located in front of the Landhaus and is played several times a day. A fun attraction for adults and children.
Kunsthaus Graz Museum of Modern Art
The Kunsthaus Graz is one of Austria’s most popular museums, famous for its collection of modern art.
The museum is located in the center of Graz and is easily accessible by public transport. Admission to the museum is free for all visitors.
The Kunsthaus Graz offers a wide range of modern art, from paintings and sculptures to installations and videos. The museum also has a library and bookstore, as well as a cafe.
Visitors can easily spend hours exploring all that Graz has to offer.
In addition to the permanent collection, the Graz Kunsthaus also hosts temporary exhibitions throughout the year.
These exhibits are often very popular and can draw large crowds. Visitors should plan accordingly and be aware that they may need to purchase tickets in advance.
Where to stay in Graz?
If you are looking for places to stay in Graz, there are many good options. Whether you are looking for a luxury hotel or a budget hotel, you will find a hotel that meets your needs.
If you are looking for a luxury hotel, the Palais Hotel Erzherzog Johann is a good choice. This historic hotel in the center of Graz offers stunning views of the city.
The rooms are spacious and elegantly furnished and the service is first-class.
For a more affordable option, try Hotel Novapark. Located just outside the city centre, this modern hotel offers free parking and free Wi-Fi.
The rooms are clean and comfortable, the staff is friendly and helpful.
Tips for eating in Graz
If you’re looking for a good meal in Graz, there are plenty of options. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your dining experience:
- Discover the local delicacies: Graz is famous for its local cuisine, so be sure to try some of the local dishes. Favorites include käferbohnensuppe (bean soup), kaiserschmarrn (pancakes), and tafelspitz (boiled beef).
- Ask for advice: If you don’t know where to eat, ask around for advice. The locals know better!
- Visit a farmer’s market: To buy fresh local produce, head to one of the farmers’ markets in Graz. There are several throughout the city, so you’re sure to find one near you.
- Wine Tasting: Austria is famous for its delicious wines, so be sure to taste some in Graz. You can find very good bottles in one of the many wine shops in town.
Alternatives to the perfect route
There is no perfect route, especially when exploring a new city. With so much to see and do, it can be hard to know where to start.
That’s why we’ve put together this list of options for the perfect itinerary so you can make the most of your time in Graz.
- Hiking: One of the best ways to acclimatize to a new city is to go hiking. There are several companies that offer tours of Graz and they will help you discover all the highlights.
- Off the beaten path: If you’re looking for something a little different, why not think outside the box? Ask locals for their recommendations and explore some of the city’s less touristy areas. You never know what you’ll find!
- Visit during special events: Graz is famous for its many festivals and events, so try to plan your visit around one of them. From music festivals to food fairs, there’s always something going on in this vibrant city.
- Create your own itinerary: Don’t be afraid to mix and match different activities to create your own unique itinerary. There’s no wrong way to explore Graz and enjoy all that this charming city has to offer!
In just two days in Graz, you can experience a wide variety of activities that will allow you to really experience the city.
Graz has something for everyone, from stunning architecture and unique culture to explore, to great food and plenty to see.
Be sure to use our insider guide when planning your trip and make sure you don’t miss a thing during your visit!